Well, if you are planning to open a cafe, you need to ensure that you comply with all permits and cafe license. There are many kinds of permits and license which are important for your cafe business in Delhi. It is important because you may have to face complications if you have no food license or other necessary documents. The licenses required to open a café in Delhi are:
1.Food and Safety License
It is one of the most important for cafe license. As per the Food Safety and Standards Act 2006, FSSAI License Authority ( Food Safety and Standards Authority Of India) makes it mandatory for all eateries in India to obtain a Food Business Operator (FBO) license. It helps to safeguard public health and ensures the quality of food. You can also file an online application for food and safety license. But, to obtain the food and safety license there are some requirements that need to fulfill. FSSAI issues several requirements which are as follows:
- Display of license/Notices/Certificates etc.
- Knowledge of food handling practices.
- Regular health status monitoring of food handlers.
- Food safety messages depending on the type of food being sold.
- Special instructions on the product, if needed.
2. Health/Trade License
Local civil authorities issue the health or trade license. You can obtain it from these authorities in the area where you want to open a café. The FSSAI License will issue to you within 60 days of submitting the application with all the necessary documents.
The following is the list of documents required to get the Health/Trader License for your cafe license:
- Sanction and Completion which Includes
- Ownership proof
- Rent Agreement
- NOC from landlord
- 3 copies of the site plan and layout
- Indemnity bond for Rs.100
- Structural Stability Certificate signed by Structural Engineer
- Power and Water paid Bill
- Sewer Connection Proof
- Letter from Delhi police is also required for swimming pools, cinema halls and hotels
- Water Testing Reports
- Plan of the Premises
- Medical Certificates of Employees
- Proof of Property Tax
- Lal Dora Certificate, if applicable
- Medical Fitness Certificate of Workers
3. Eating House License
The Licensing Police Commissioner of the respective city provides the eating house license. This authority is an ISO 9001:2008 certified organization. It deals with the licensing of – eating houses, hotels, cinema hall, swimming pools, etc.
- Document(s) to prove the legal inhabitance of the Place of Eating House.
- In case of tenancy, NOC from the landlord in the form of the affidavit on stamp paper of Rs.10/- duly attested.
- Site design which includes details of the size of the Eating House.
- Two postcard size photographs of the cafe showing its use as an Eating House.
- Photocopy of valid NDMC/MCD/DCB/Airport Authority of India trade license and charge receipt
- Evidence of habitation of the candidate like Election Card, Driving License and Passport
- An Affidavit on stamp paper of Rs.10/- properly verified
- Fire NOC, if Seating Capacity of the Eating House is at least 50.
- Undertaking as to proposed/existing facilities like music and Live performance, dance floor, Bars & disco and so on.
- Undertaking in regards to the installation of CCTV Cameras with 30 days recording facility.
NOC from Chief Fire Officer
If you are opening a cafe, then you need to consider all the fire safety guidelines. You need to submit the application to the Chief Fire Officer to obtain a NOC. You can also contact the Chief Fire Officer in case
- Any delay in carrying out the inspection or
- The issue of fire safety guidelines, or
- The issue of NOC after the inspection has been carried out etc.
The department does not levy any charges for this job for the certain period of time.
You need to obtain this license Phonographic Performance Ltd (PPL) for playing music or video in your Cafe. Under the Copyright Act of 1957, the individuals who play pre-recorded music in any non-private, business or non-business foundations must acquire a music permit issued by Phonographic Performance Limited(PPL). If the owner plays the music without the prescribed license, then He/she may face complications o heavy fines later.
Related Topic: FSSAI Rules For Food License
Trademark for Cafe License
It is imperative to enlist your trademark, as it prevents other users from utilizing similar trademarks and to guarantee that you are not encroaching upon another person’s trademark. As a result, you should do your trademark registration.
Certificate of Environmental Clearance (CEC)
This permit is from the EMA for certain types of projects or activities. You can obtain it from the Ministry of Environment and Forests. But you will get it after submitting the questionnaire for environmental appraisal
Shops and Establishment Act
You are required to register your restaurant under the Shops and Establishment Act.
You will be required to obtain this license from local civil authorities.
Cafe license is one of the most important parts, if you want to open a cafe in Delhi. It helps the café maintain health standards. Also, it helps to have a separate legal identity. Moreover, licensing add to the goodwill of the café. It is because customers attract more to that place which is safer and holds quality. It will bring customer satisfaction. “eateries operating their business without FBO license will be penalized up to Rs.5 lakhs and jailed up to six months” According to FSSAI officials.