The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India issues the Central FSSAI License to the major FBOs in India. It is the first need of those FBOs dealing in the manufacturing, storage, distribution, transportation or retailing of food products.  The FSSAI License registration can be of the State Regulator or Central Regulator depending on the nature of the activity of the business. In this article, we will focus on the requirements and eligibility for getting the Central FSSAI License.

Eligibility for Central FSSAI License

The following FBOs are eligible for getting the Central FSSAI License:

  • Milk Products manufacturing units including milk chilling units. The capacity to process 50,000 liters or more liquid milk per day. Or 2500 MT of milk solid per annum.
  • Edible oil altering units producing oil by the process of solvent extraction. Refineries that includes oil expeller unit processing more than 2 MT per day.
  • Butchery mob which handles more than 50 large animals, 150 small animals or 1000 poultry birds per day.
  • Brawn processing units preparing more than 500 kgs of meat per day or 150 MT per annum.
  • All food managing units including labeling and repacking more than 2 MT per day. It excepts grains, cereals, and pulses mills.
  • manufacturers of proprietary foods
  • All 100% Export Oriented Units
  • importers importing food items including food ingredients and additives for commercial use
  • Storage units other than those having controlled atmosphere and cold environment having a capacity of more than 50,000 MT.

Following FBOs are also eligible for Central FSSAI License-

  • Cold Storages with the capacity of 10,000 MT or more.
  • Controlled Atmosphere + Cold Storage with the capacity of 1,000 MT or more.
  • Wholesalers with the annual turnover of Rs.30 crores or more.
  • Retailers having a turnover of more than Rs.20 crores per annum.
  • Distributors having the turnover of more than Rs.20 crores per annum.
  • Suppliers with the annual turnover of Rs.20 crores or more.
  • Caterers having a turnover of Rs.20 crores per annum or greater.
  • Hotels – Five Star & succeeding.
  • Restaurants having a turnover of more than Rs.20 crores per annum.
  • Transporters with more than 100 vehicles. Or turnover of more than Rs.30 crores per annum.
  • Marketers having the annual turnover of Rs.20 crores or more.
  • Caterers in well-established units under Central Government Agencies like Military, etc.
  • Dealers with authorized premises in Central Government Agencies.
  • Caterers at seaports like Kandla, Mundra, Vishakhapatnam, Kolkata, Cochin, Mumbai, Chennai, JNPT etc.
  • Caterers at the airport like Kolkata, Mumbai, Delhi, Chennai, Bengaluru, Hyderabad, Ahmedabad, etc.

Documents Required for Obtaining Central FSSAI License

Following are the Documents Required for Obtaining Central FSSAI License:

  1. Form- B of the FSSAI.
  2. Process layout mentioning the dimensions and operation-wise area allocations.
  3. List of complete Leadership with full address and contact details.
  4. Name and list of equipment along with its registration number, capacity, and power consumption.
  5. A photo ID and address proof by the Government.
  6. List of food category planned for manufacturing.
  7. Authority letter with name and address of a responsible person nominated along with a responsible person.
  8. Analysis report of water you are going to use in the food from a recognized / public health laboratory to confirm the portability.
  9. Proof of ownership of the premises.
  10. Partnership Deed for Proprietorship or MOA & AOA with the Certificate of Incorporation. In the case of Company, three pages are to be uploaded: Certificate of Incorporation, Authorization of food business activity and List of Directors.
  11. Copy of certificate obtained under Coop Act – 1861 / Multi-State Coop Act – 2002 in case of Cooperatives. (If applicable).

Some other documents that are required-

  1. NOC & Copy of License from the manufacturer (Mandatory for Relabellers and Repackers).
  2. Food Safety Management System Plan or Certificate (if any).
  3. Source of milk or procurement plan for milk including the location of milk collection centers in case of milk and milk products processing units. (if applicable).
  4. Source of raw material for meat and meat processing plants. (if applicable).
  5. Pesticide protection report of water from a recognized laboratory if manufacturing packaged water. It may be drinking water, packaged mineral water or carbonated water.
  6. Recall plan wherever applicable, with details on whom the product is distributed (optional).
  7. NOC from Municipality or Local Body (optional).
  8. Ministry of Commerce Certificate for 100% EOU.
  9. NOC issued by FSSAI.
  10. IE Code issued by DGFT.
  11. Nomination of Person(s) by a Company(Form IX).
  12. Certification by the Ministry of Tourism.
  13. Detailed proof of income in writing.
  14. Self-declaration of the number of vehicles.
  15. FSSAI Declaration Form.

If you are planning to start a big FBO, we will assist you with our best services. We at fssaifoodlicense provide hassle-free licensing services in the shortest time.