In India, the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India, (FSSAI) regulates and looks after the safety of food products being made available to the public. FSSAI also ensures that Food Business Operators (FBOs) are using good food manufacturing and healthy food handling and storage practices within their premises. These practices have been specified in accordance with the Food Safety and Standards Act of 2006. In addition to ensuring safe practices, the FSSAI also issues a Food License to the FBOs certifying the safety of the food products for consumption by customers. Every food license has a 14-digit registration/license number which has to be affixed on the packaging of the food product along with the FSSAI logo. In this article, we’re going to look at how you can check the FSSAI license number online.
FSSAI License Number: What is it?
FSSAI license number or food license number, as we previously discussed is basically a 14-digit license number that is issued to all food business operators regardless of their size and scale of operation. There are, however, different kinds of registrations for the food license based on the scale of operation. The 14-digits of the FSSAI license number have been basically divided into 5 sections and each section tells the authorities some information about the food business operator which distinguishes it from the others. Here are the 5 different sections of the FSSAI License number.
- Section 1 [First Digit] – Information about the registration status of the food business whether registered or not.
- Section 2 [ Digits 2 and 3]- State code where food business is operational
- Section 3 [ Digits 4 and 5]- I Year of manufacture of the particular food product.
- Section 4 [Digits 6, 7, 8 ]- Quantity of enrolling master
- Section 5 [Digits 9-14]- Permit Number of the maker
How To Check FSSAI License Number online :
FSSAI License Types
Different food businesses are eligible for different types of licenses based on the scale of their operation i.e. Annual Turnover. Let’s look at the various types of Food licenses and their eligibility.
|Up to ₹ 12 Lakhs||Registration FORM A|
|₹12 lakhs– ₹ 20 Crores||State License FORM B|
|Exceeding ₹ 20 Crores||Central License FORM B|
What will the FSSAI license number search will display?
- License Number
- Expiry Date
- Kind of Business
- License Status
- Company Name
- Premises Address
Guidelines on FSSAI Licence Number
- The 14-digit license number of the FBO that they acquire from the regulatory authority of FSSAI, has to be on the packaged products. The font color and shade of the FSSAI logo should be contrasting enough to the background of the packaged product so that the logo and license number are clearly distinguishable.
- The name and address along with the FSSAI number need to be produced in front of the authorities at the time of importing a product into the country.
- The measure of the letters, alphabets, and digits should be in accordance with the Food Safety and Standards (Packaging and Labelling) Regulation, 2011
- Displaying the FSSAI logo as well as the license number on the food products reflects that the food business administrator has a legitimate license in compliance with the Food Safety and Standards Act of 2006.
- The permit number ought to be put on the addresses of the various unit’s mark of the item. Additionally, the quantity of the delivering organization should likewise be shown alongside the number
- FBO should only put the logo and license number on their products till the validity of their food license lasts and that is a maximum of 5 years.
Procedure to Check FSSAI license number
Step 1: Head on over to the FSSAI’s official government website https://foodlicensing.fssai.gov.in/cmsweb/TrackFBO.aspx.Once you’re on the page, you will see a blank field labeled Enter License / Registration Number
Step 2: Enter the particular license number and click on ‘Submit’. Make sure you have entered the license number correctly, there should be 14 digits in the license number.
Step 3: IF you have entered an invalid license number, an error message is displayed as follows.
Step 4: Once you’ve clicked ‘Submit’ and if your license number is valid, the website will display the status along with other details of the food business operator. You have successfully performed the procedure to check the FSSAI license number.
This concludes the procedure to check the FSSAI license number online. FSSAI license is basically mandatory compliance for a food business operator (FBOs). The Food license has the validity of a maximum of 5 years and after those 5 years are up, you need to renew food license in order to keep smooth operations and business flowing.
If you have to acquire a new FSSAI registration or renew your existing license. Contact us at FSSAI Food License, one of the top food consultants across the country. Call +91-875-000-8844 to get started!
Frequently Asked Questions
2. Enter your 14 digits correct FSSAI Registration Number and click on the search button.
3. You will receive a short description of the screen.
4. Login and know the complete details of your FSSAI license status
1 Digit-The status of registration of the business
2 and 3 digits-The state code of the respective business
Digits 4 and 5-The year of manufacture of the food product
Digits 6,7 and 8- The quantity of enrolling master
Digits 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14- Provides the Makers License Number
1. Every food package must include the 14-digit license number allotted to the FBO.
2. The font color and shade of the FSSAI logo must be in contrast to the background of the packaged product to assure the distinguishability of the logo and license number.
3. The name, address and FSSAI number of the shipper must be produced before the officials while importing products into the country.
4. The size of the letters, alphabets, and digits must be based on the Food Safety and Standards (Packaging and Labelling) Regulations, 2011.
5. The license number must be specified on the addresses of the different unit marks of the product, along with the quality of the delivering organization.
6. The logo and license number can only be used by the FBO until the date of the expiry of a food license, which is five years from the date of issue of license.
1. Form B – completed and signed
2. Photo Identity of FBO
3. Proof of possession of premises (eg. Rental Agreement )
4. Partnership Deed, Certificate of Incorporation or Articles of Association, etc
5. List of food products to be dealt with
6. Food safety management system plan