The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI), is a autonomous body established under the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.The FSSAI is established under the Food Safety and Standard ACT, 2006 which is a consolidation statute related to the food safety and regulations. FSSAI is responsible for protecting and promoting public health through the regulations and especially the supervision of food safety. FSSAI issues licenses to all the Food Business Operators in the country. It is thus mandatory to get FSSAI food license in order to operate any of the business which is related to food.
Depending on the scale of business, it issues three different types of licenses:
- FSSAI Central License
- FSSAI State License
- FSSAI Basic Registration
Once you have your FSSAI license, you may later in the future of your business, want to convert your license. For ex., If you initially have obtained an FSSAI Registration for your petty food business, but after a while, you expand your business. If you expand to the point where you become eligible for obtaining an FSSAI State License, then, in this case, you will have to apply for conversion of your fssai food license. Thus, you can further use the online system on the website of FSSAI for this purpose.
For the conversion of your FSSAI food license (whether it is Central, State or Registration) you will require the following documents:
1. A Duly completed and signed Form-B (in duplicate) by the Proprietor/ Partner/ Authorised Signatory (Mandatory)
2. Any change in the documents/information which is provided during grant of previous license (On letterhead) (Mandatory)
3. Certificate or Plan of Food Safety Management System that is adopted(for units under Central Licensing, it has to be a certificate from an accredited agency) or Affidavit
4. List of the workers with their medical fitness.( These may be available with the units and it has to be shown at the time of inspection)
5. Name, qualification and the details of the technical persons who are in charge.( Only applicable for Manufacturing and Processing Units)
6. Form IX- Nomination of the persons by a company along with the Board Resolution.
7. Declaration Form.( For State licenses only in case of Delhi and Himachal Pradesh)