homemade food

Yes, you need a food license from FSSAI to sell homemade food but if it is a small scale, only registration is required. Homemade food or Hotel food each and every Food Business Operator (FBO) is required to either register or get a Food License. As per Food Safety and  Security act, 2006 every FBO is required to obtain an FSSAI Food License. If the FBO is tiny or small it only requires to register itself with FSSAI. Obtaining Registration or License depends upon the annual turnover of the FBO.

  • Below 12 Lakhs – Registration FORM A
  • 12 – 20 Lakhs – State License FORM B
  • Above 20 Lakhs -Central License FORM B
  • FBO must be registered.
  • One additional Central License for Head Office is necessary if Food Business Operator is operating in more than 1 state,
  • Importers can take a single central license at their Import Export Code address.
  • Food Business Operator must obey the rules and conditions of registration.
  • For one presumption with various types of businesses is eligible for one registration.

What is the need of FSSAI License?

  • It facilitates trade and makes sure there is no compromise on consumer safety & a larger share.
  • High degree of consumer confidence in safety & quality of food is there.
  • It also helps in the removal of multiple regulations.
  • It also helps to promote innovation in foods products.


The President of India on 23rd August 2006 gave his approval to an act to combine all the laws related to food and to establish Food Safety and Standards Authority of India that will set the standards based on science for the food articles and will regulate the manufacture, storage, distribution, sale and import, in order to make sure that safe and wholesome food is available for human consumption, it will also deal with all matters connected with food.

This act is called the Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006 and this extend to the entire of India.

Licenses Required –

When a person is starting a catering service or starting a business of homemade food then it is necessary to have few licenses and certification as selling food from home is the same as selling food at a restaurant. So, one must get started with one’s business operations, and licenses and certifications could come along the way, one can start procedures for general licenses from local Food and Health Department.

To protect your personal assets such as your home, consider creating a business entity such as a limited liability company, if not go with Sole Proprietorship, which is very simple and easy to get it done. One should compare and understand the pros and cons of both business entities properly. Also, it is very important for the service provider to follow  Health Department rules and regulations. Before starting your business contact the local Health Department for specific regulations, certifications, licenses, and insurance information in your area. The Health Department also usually inspect the area which is going to be used for the kitchen or for the catering business.

Couple of licenses/permissions you need, it can vary from state to state:

  1. Shop and Establishment Act License
  2. FSSAI License from Food & Health Department.
  3. Trade license.
  4. Fire brigade.
  5. Police
  6. Society’s NOC

One should get in touch with the local municipality to know more about state-specific licenses which are required. Some people prefer enrolling their names as a chef in food delivery places to grow easily and reach out to more audience very easily rather than starting their own home food selling business

Related Article

Register your Fast Food Truck at LegalRaasta- FSSAI Food license

Registration Criteria for the Catering or Food Service Establishment