It has become compulsory for dhabas, vegetable and fruit sellers, tea stalls, grocery shops, canteens, hotels, caterers, restaurants, and food processors to acquire a food safety license (FSSAI License) as per the Food Safety and Standards (Licensing and Registration of Food Businesses) Regulations 2011. This agency comes under the purview of the Government of India, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare. Moreover, other than these outlets, food safety license is mandatory for the vehicles and transporters involved in such transportation of food to various parts of the country, to acquire this license. The whole purpose of such stringent rules is that the FSSAI is aiming to reduce the problems associated with poor quality food being served to the customers and ensure health and safety.

Types of Registration- Food Safety License

1. Registrations 

All persons and petty business operators dealing in food items, with turnover less than 12 lakhs or and quality less than the specified units, shall get registered (FSSAI License) under the Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006 as prescribed by the Registering Authority, depending upon the product. Form A is to be filed along with fees as prescribed for food safety license.

2. State License 

Business Operators like manufacturers, storage, transport, retailers, marketers, distributors, etc with turnover more than 12 Lakh and up to 20 crores or 30 crores in some cases and quantity less than the specified units as prescribed by the Registering Authority, shall apply for License from the State Authority provide they fulfil the eligibility Criteria under State Licensing.

3. Central License 

Persons who provide the Food catering services in establishments and units under Central Government Agencies like defense, Airport, Sea Port, Railway etc., with turnover more than 20 crores and quantity more than the specified units as prescribed by the Registering Authority depending upon product are also required to get the Central License.

Documents Required

For the purpose of Registration under the State and Central, the following documents are necessary:

  1. Form A/ Form B, as the case may be, duly filled and signed by Proprietor/ Partner
  2. Pan Card Copy of applicant self-attested. In case of Partnership Firm/ Company, PAN Card of such Firm/ Company is also required.
  3. Address Proof of applicant self-attested. In case of partnership/ company, address proof of such firm/ company along with address proof of authorized representative
  4. 2 Passport size photographs of applicant/ authorized representative
  5. Rent Deed/ Registry Copy of registered office of firm/ company
  6. List of Directors/ Partners/ Members of Society/ Trust on letterhead of particular firm/ company/ trust
  7. List of Equipment/ Machinery installed in the premises.
  8. Partnership deed/ Affidavit of Proprietor/ MOA /AOA
  9. NOC from the manufacturer in case, the applicant is doing the business of relabeller/ Repacker

License/ Registration for FSSAI License can be applied for 1 to 5 years. Means applicant can apply for 1 year or for 2 years or maybe for 5 years. After the expiry of the period for which the applicant had applied for the license/ registration, the applicant needs to apply for the license again as a renewal license/ renewal registration. If the applicant has applied for Registration and his turnover exceeds 12 Lakhs or the production increase more than the UNITS specified for State License, the applicant must proceed for State License.