FSSAI Full Form
FSSAI is an acronym for the food regulatory authority of India and it basically stands for the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India. The Food authority regulates and checks for safe food manufacture, storage and handling practices of Food Business Operators(FBOs). FSSAI checks for compliance and that FBOs are following the regulations and standards as mentioned in the Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006. Since 2006, all acts and regulations related to food and related products have been under the jurisdiction of FSSAI. FSSAI issues compliant FBOs a Compliance (C) badge and in accordance with their annual turnover, issue them an appropriate Food License. Now that you have learnt many things about FSSAI, full form, functions as well as their jurisdiction, let’s look at this FSSAI license in detail.
What is a FSSAI License?
FSSAI, also known as the Food Authority of India, issues a 14-digit License number to food business operators who are in Compliance of the rules and regulations under the FSS act. This FSSAI License number has to be imprinted on food products along with the FSSAI Logo. Also Read: How to Check FSSAI License Number Online. The FSSAI license can be obtained on the food licensing website by creating a FSSAI Login ID and passwords. Following is an example of food products with the license number and logo:
In addition to this, with the advent of modern technology, and the rise of food tech startups, nowadays food is delivered directly from the restaurants to the customer’s via a mobile app. Food Aggregator apps have been instructed by the regulatory authority not to display the appropriate licenses of the restaurants. Without the FSSAI License, Swiggy and other food aggregator apps will de-list the corresponding restaurants from their websites.
Related: FSSAI Product Approval
FSSAI License Eligibility
Many times as a Food Business Owner it is difficult to determine what license to go for State or Central. Here, we list down the eligibility criteria so you can look up your type of business and swiftly proceed to acquire your food license.
Basic FSSAI Registration
Basic FSSAI registration is applicable for all food businesses and related activities like storage, sales, distribution, repacking and labelling for which the annual turnover does not cross Rs. 12 lakh or for food businesses which have a maximum turn over of Rs. 12 lakh Annually.
State FSSAI License Eligibility
The following FBOs can apply for a state FSSAI license
- Restaurants and Hotels
- Meat processing Units and Slaughtering Units
- Proprietary Foods
- Food Processing Units inclusive of corresponding retailers and repackers
- Vegetable Oil Processing Units as well as Production Units
- Dairy Units inclusive of Milk Chilling units
Central FSSAI License Eligibility
The following Food Business Owners have been deemed eligible to obtain the FSSAI central license by the regulatory authority
- 5 Star Hotels and above
- All Food Businesses inclusive of retailers, distributors, suppliers, and caterers mentioned for state license could apply for a central license if their operations are at a larger scale. (~20 crores or more)
- Restaurants/ Food processing and handling chains with multiple branches across various states have to obtain the Central FSSAI license for the main branch/head office
- 100 % export oriented food processing/production units
- Food processing units, re-labellers, and repackers who are processing more than 2 Metric Tonnes per day excluding grains, cereals, and pulse milling units
- Refrigerated storages holding a capacity of 10,000 Metric Tonnes or more
- Wholesalers with their annual turnovers amounting to Rs. 30 Crores or more
- Food Catering services located at airports as well as seaports
Based on Annual Turnover has to either apply for simple FSSAI Online Registration in FORM A with FSSAI or apply for Licensing in FORM B.
Documents for FSSAI License
Essentially the FSSAI Registration/ License requires a few documents in order to verify the ownership as well as the validity of the food business operators(FBOs). For registering an FBO, FSSAI requires Personal Details of the Applicant as well as details of the Food Business.
The personal details of the applicant required are as follows:
- PAN Card
- Copy of Aadhar Card / Voter Identity Card/ Driving License /Passport [Any 1]
- Passport Size Photo
Documents for the Registered office/Premises
- Latest Utilities Bill (Electricity/ Water/ Gas Connection Bill)
- Copy of Rent Agreement (if Rented Property)
- Copy of Properties Papers (If premises are self-owned)
Property can be residential/commercial
Documents for FSSAI Basic Registration [Also required for State And Central]
- Duly-Filled Form A signed by all directors/partners/proprietor/ Executive member of thre society [Form B for State and Central License]
- Food Safety Management System (FSMS) declaration on the letterhead of the company
- Proof of Income determining the Annual Turnover of the Food Business Operator (FBO)
- Nomination of the person appointed by the firm/company in the Form IX
- Self Declaration by Director
- Affidavit on Non-Judicial Stamp Paper
Additional Documents for State License
- Blueprint or layout of the proposed location
- Detailed list of Equipment and Machinery installed or to be installed at the location
- NOC and copy of the license from manufacturers
- Authority letter with particulars about the name and address of the person responsible.
Documents for Central License
- Water Report Analysis from a well-established and/or a government health labratory
- Directorate General of Foreign Trade (DGFT) issued IEC (Import Export Code)
- Pesticide Residue Report of the water for units involved in the manufacturing of mineral or carbonated water
- Designated milk provider/ Source of Milk
- Proof of Annual turnover, if required
- Meat provider/ Meat processing units
- Certificates alotted by the Ministry of Tourism, if applicable
- Vehicles turnover proof, if applicable
- Memorandum of Association (MOA) and Articles of Association
Getting the legality of getting your FSSAI Registration done when you’re planning and maintaining a restaurant / Food Business can be a bit tedious process.
At FSSAIFoodLicense, one of the top food consultants across India, we are committed to enabling you to acquire your food license quickly and at economical prices.
Call +91- 875-000-8844 to get started!