What is FSSAI?
Food Safety and Standards Authority of India is established to exercise the powers granted to, and to perform the functions assigned to, it under the Food Safety and Standards Act. It is called the Food Authority. The Food Authority is a body corporate, having perpetual succession and a seal with power to acquire, hold and dispose of property, both movable and immovable, and to contract and shall, by the said name, sue or be sued.
To address the problem of food safety awareness in India, the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India has mandated all the food business operator in the country to register for an FSSAI license. Depending upon the size of the business, FSSAI issues a Central license for medium to large enterprises, a State license for medium enterprises and a Registration for petty food businesses.
What are Petty Food Businesses?
Petty food businesses are some of the most popular sources of food and snacks in India like petty retailers, hawkers and including the favorite street food vendors. Generally, all business operators with an annual turnover of less than 12 lakh come under this category.
To shine further light on the topic, given below is the complete list of food vendors eligible for petty food registration:
- Dairy units consisting of milk chilling units equipped to handle or process – Units handling up to 500 liters of milk per day or up to 2.5 MT of milk solids per annum.
- Vegetable oil processing units and units producing vegetable oil by the process of solvent extraction and refineries including oil expelled unit – Turnover up to 12 lakhs per annum.
- Meat Processing Units – Turnover up to 12 lakhs/ annum.
- All food processing units including relabeled & re-packers – Turnover not exceeding Rs. 12 lakhs and whose production capacity of food does not exceed 100 kg/LTR per day.
- Slaughtering units:–
- Small Animals up to 10.
- Poultry Birds up to 50 per day.
- Large Animals up to 2.
- Except for Controlled Atmosphere and Cold – Turnover up to 12 lakhs per annum.
- Cold / Refrigerated – Turnover up to 12 lakhs per annum.
- Controlled atmosphere + Cold – Turnover up to 12 lakhs per annum.
- Wholesaler – Turnover up to 12 lakhs per annum.
- Retailer – Turnover up to 12 lakhs per annum.
- Distributor – Turnover up to 12 lakhs per annum.
- Supplier – Turnover up to 12 lakhs per annum.
- Dhaba, Boarding houses, Banquet halls, Home based canteens/ Dabba Wallas, Permanent/ Temporary stall Holder, Food stalls/ Arrangements in religious gatherings/ fairs etc, Fish/Meat/ Poultry shop/ Seller or any other food vending establishment – Turnover up to 12 lakhs.
- Club/ Canteen – Turnover up to 12 lakhs.
- Hotel – Turnover up to 12 lakhs.
- Restaurant – Turnover up to 12 lakhs.
- Transporter – Turnover up to 12 lakhs.
- Marketer- Turnover up to 12 lakhs.
- Hawker (Itinerant/ mobile food vendor) – All.
- Retailers of petty snacks/tea shops – All.
Being small in size, petty retailers and manufacturers can obtain FSSAI registration by submitting a few documents only:-
- Photo Identity of the Food Operators.
- Rental Agreement/ Utility Bill.
- Partnership Deed/ Certificate of Incorporation/ Articles of Association.
- List of food products stored/manufactured/stored.
- Signed and completed Form-B.