FSSAI role in food quality
The FSSAI role in food quality is to ensure safety and providing satisfaction to every customer. Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) deals in providing the controlling procedures for the same. FSSAI was set up under the Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006. This organization formulates the measures in order to eliminate the toxic and hazardous elements of the environment. As a resultant of this, every customer receives an equal level of assurance of food safety.
The packaging of the product informs about the product quality and in this way, it informs the customer about the safety standards. The manufacturers of food must apply these standards to control food degradation. This is great to attain the confidence of the customer and also keep the food authorities satisfied. You might also be interested in knowing the new quality standards by FSSAI for chocolates.
Consumers of food products can also submit some specific scientific techniques to the Government. The strict standards require more finance which is why the government needs to implement those standards that come under its budget.
There are different standards for different food products. The aim is to ensure that those measures are implemented that are necessary for that particular food product. The public health should be of primary importance for the FBOs. Other malpractices involved such as fraud, adulteration and the misleading claims to double-cross consumers must be prohibited.
Objectives of FSSAI role in food quality
- FSSAI frames regulations to lay down the standards and guidelines in relation to food articles and set up an appropriate system of enforcing various standards.
- It also lays down mechanisms and guidelines for the accreditation of certification bodies that are working in the certification of food safety management system for food businesses. Read more on regulatory guidelines for proprietory food in India.
- One of the major functions includes laying down procedures and guidelines for accreditation of laboratories and notification of the accredited laboratories.
- FSSAI also provides scientific advice and technical support to the Central Government and State Government in the matters of framing the policy and rules in areas that have a direct/indirect bearing of food safety and nutrition.
- It is also responsible for collecting data regarding food consumption, incidence, and prevalence of biological risk, contaminants in food, residues of various contaminants in food products, identification of emerging risks and introducing the rapid alert system.
- This organization is responsible for creating an information network across the country so that the public, consumers, panchayats, etc. are able to receive rapid, reliable and objective information about food safety and issues of concern.
- Initiating and handling training programs for people who are or wish to get involved in the food business.
- It plays a huge role in the development of international technical standards for food, sanitary and phytosanitary standards
- Along with this, it also promotes general awareness about food safety and food standards.
Research and quality assurance
Research: The R&D department is responsible for research in the following objectives:
- Generation of new knowledge which would aid in continuously updating and upgrading food safety standards that are compatible with international organizations.
- FSSAI role in food quality is to carry out evidence-based studies to build or improve policies.
Quality assurance: The committee has recommended that it should perform various functions related to quality and standards of food. For this, FSSAI has set up various laboratories that are classified as:
- FSSAI notified NABL accredited labs- 112
- State Labs- 72
- Referral Labs- 14
Initiatives by FSSAI role in food quality
- Heart Attack Rewind: Heart Attack Rewind is an initiative by FSSAI to eliminate trans-fat from India by the year 2022. This initiative was campaigned across India.
- FSSAI- CHIFSS: It being a collaboration between FSSAI and CII-HUL, it aims to promote collaborations between Industry, Scientific Community, and Academia for food safety.
- Swasth Bharat Yatra: It is a pan-India movement called ‘Eat Right India’, which was aimed to create consumer awareness about eating safe and nutritious food.
Customers part in food safety
- You must perform safety steps like washing hands before handling
- Keep raw materials separate from the processed food
- Consuming the food articles within the prescribed time
- Analyzing the food ingredients according to their needs
The need of the hour
- There should be frequent appointments of Food consultants to ensure safety levels.
- The food consultants should conduct audits to check whether the food industry is complying with the food standards or not.
- The government should communicate with both the customers and the manufactures to assure common understanding and for minimizing the misconceptions.
The food control safety measure is the requirement to bridge the gap between safe food and adulterated food. The food industry needs standards that are more flexible and which is also efficient in producing and marketing food and thus ultimately serving the consumers with a protective sheet. FSSAI’s role in food quality is important for smooth functioning.
You could register for renewal, submit your form-A, Form-B central license, Form-B state license or complete your registration for FSSAI food license in Delhi by simply going to our website. Our experts will get in touch with you and fulfill your FSSAI registration needs within 10-15 days. You can also call us on +91 8750008844.
You might also like to read about:
Frequently Asked Questions
• Adulteration of fats and oils
• Food Grain Adulteration
• Other adulteration
• Biological contamination
• Physical contamination
• Regulating manufacture, storage, distribution, sale and import of food products
• Facilitate food safety.
2. Keep raw materials separate from the processed food
3. Consuming the food articles within the prescribed time
4. Analyzing the food ingredients according to their needs
5. Consumers of food products can also submit some specific scientific techniques to the Government
• Inspecting food processing facilities
• Inspect procedures to ensure that applicable regulations are being followed.