The government provides the facility of applying for FSSAI online. Food business such as restaurants, packaging foods, cafes etc needs to get a food license in India. No person shall start or carry on any food business except under a license with exception of a tiny food business operator, but they shall register themselves with food authority. FSSAI license is a 14- Digit registration number which is printed on food packages.
One can register FSSAI in Delhi, Mumbai, Haryana, etc and FSSAI registration for food business has three major categories:
- Central License
- State License
FSSAI Registration Central License
Following required to register their business with FSSAI from central government- Export Oriented Units, large manufacturers, importers, food business operators in Central Government Agencies, airport, seaport, etc.
FSSAI Registration State License
Following need to get food license under FSSAI from state government- small to medium-sized manufacturing units, storage, transporters, retailers, marketers, distributors, etc.
Food business operators who are petty food manufacturers can obtain FSSAI registration under this scheme from the state government by submitting minimal documents.
Documents Required for FSSAI Registration
The documents required for FSSAI registration depends on the types of licensing. Following, are some of the common documents required for obtaining FSSAI registration:
- Photo Identity of Promoters of the Food Business
- Proof of possession of premises (Rental Agreement / Utility Bill)
- Partnership Deed / Certificate of Incorporation / Articles of Association / Memorandum of Association
- List of food products manufactures or processed or stored
- Food safety management system plan
- Signed and Completed Form-B
Procedure for getting Food License Online
Food Business Operators can apply for FSSAI online. It is easier and convenient than the offline procedures. This step by step guide will make it easy for you to apply online.
- First of all go to the official website of government, i.e. the FSSAI site.
- When the page opens, click on the ‘Sign-up (For Self-Care Portal)’ which is on the right of the screen.
- A sign-up form will appear. Fill out the necessary details.
- Remember that the email – ID and mobile number you fill up for a sign –up should be active and valid, which means it must be in use.
- Make a unique username which is not already registered with the site.
- After filling up the form click on Register to complete the sign-up process.
- Once sign-up is successful you will get a message ‘account successfully created.’ You will also get a sign-up success confirmation message on your mobile as an SMS and via e-mail too.
- You now have an online account with FSSAI
- This user ID is valid for 30 days so make sure you apply online within 30 days or this user ID will be disabled after 30 days.
- You have taken the first step to apply for online License/Registration
- When you are ready to apply for License/ Registration on FSSAI site.
- Open your page with your username and password
- Fill the details in the Online Application Form. It will take some time so be prepared to sit at the computer for a while and have necessary documents loaded on your computer system beforehand like filled and signed Form B.
Important Points for FSSAI Online
Once the online form is filled up completely you have to take a printout of the filled out Online Application Form before you click on ‘submit’
- Once you have the print out then click ‘Submit’ tab
- Make a note of the reference number that is displayed on the screen once you have submitted the application
- You need this reference number to track the progress of your application for Registration or Licensing.
- The web-enabled form is available 24X7 so you can apply any time but keep time available as you must complete the whole application process preferably in one sitting so there are no mistakes and it does not go into Incomplete Application tab.