- FSSAI License and Packaged Drinking Water
- Why is it necessary?
- Documents require for Packaged Drinking Water Plant
- FSSAI Licenses for packaged drinking water
- Sources of water for packaged drinking water
- FSSAI standards
- Microorganisms for packaged drinking water
- Parameters by FSSAI
- Packaging materials
- Labeling on the package
- Labeling provisions
- Frequently Asked Questions
Before discussing the importance of license for packaged drinking water, let’s see what FSSAI is. The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India is established to exercise the powers granted to, and to perform the functions assigned to, it under the Food Safety and Standards Act. It is called the Food Authority. The Food Authority is a body corporate, having perpetual succession and a seal with power to acquire, hold and dispose of property, both movable and immovable, and to contract and shall, by the said name, sue or be sued. The Head office of FSSAI is located at Delhi and other regional offices are located in other states. Also, we can consult in your Responsibilities, Liability, Food recall procedures with our years of experience. Register with us for FSSAI food license Online.
FSSAI online Food License is under the control of the Government of India and the Ministry of Health and Family Affair which acts as a Fssai license consultant. The FSSAI establishes under the Food Safety and Security Act of 2006 that sets standards for food products based on science and regulates their production, storage, distribution, sales, and also imports to ensure they are safe for consumption.
FSSAI License and Packaged Drinking Water
Pure water is the world’s first foremost medicine. Water is the drinking force of nature. It is the right of every living being on earth. Today clean drinking water is the first and the most important step into lifting communities out of the cycles of illness and poverty. Water is life and today only 3% of water available on earth is apt for consumption out of which most of it is in the frozen form and the remaining is not clean enough. Therefore we need water filtration plants.
A packaged drinking water plant is one where the water is filtered and cleaned and then necessary minerals are added to it before the final packaging. Today more and more people are advancing towards the use of packaged drinking water. This has made package drinking water an evergreen business. However, if you planning to open up a packaged drinking water plant then make sure you have the FSSAI License.
Why is it necessary?
The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) announced its plan to whip on all the unlicensed packaging drinking water plant companies. A popular news broadcast channel reported that nearly 4,000 food business operators dealing which packaged drinking water did not have an FSSAI license.
We, at Bottling India, understand the importance of documents and licenses needed for a packaged drinking water plant. Therefore our expert team is always on their toes to assist you with any help required. There are many documents right from the SSI (small scale industry) registration that would be required if you plan upon opening a packaged drinking water plant.
Documents require for Packaged Drinking Water Plant
Once you have taken the decision to start the Packaged Drinking Water Plant, you will need to comply with some government authorities. The main documents are:-
- SSI Registration
- ISI Mark Certificate (BIS Registration)
- Pollution control certificate
- All required test reports of raw and pure water
- Pest control certificate
- Chemist-Degree and medical certificate
- Microbiologist- degree and medical certificate
- Registration of trademark
- Medical certificate for workers-4
- Document regarding ownership/ Lease of land
- Electrical load sanction
- MOA( Memorandum of Association) of companies / Partnership deed if applicable
- Sanction layout plan
- Land (if not in Industrial area should be NA)
FSSAI Licenses for packaged drinking water
- Basic license: if your turnover is less than Rs.12 lakh per annum
- State license: if your turnover is more than Rs.12 lakh but less than Rs.20 Crore
- Central license: if your turnover is more than Rs.20 Crore
Sources of water for packaged drinking water
The sources of water for the packaged drinking water should be from the following:
- Surface water
- Civic water supply
- Underground water
- Any other consistent source of water
The packaged water plant should follow the given FSSAI standards:
- The packaged water is required to undergo specific treatment like decantation, filtration, a combination of filtration, aerations, filtration with membrane filter depth filter, cartridge filter, activated carbon filtration, demineralization, re-mineralization, reverse osmosis, etc.
- The packagers must ensure that the packaged water is fully disinfected by means of chemical agents or physical methods so that the level of microorganisms is below the scientifically accepted level for food safety or its suitability.
- In the case of Seawater, it must be desalinized before it is subject to the above treatments.
- Sealed containers of various compositions, forms and capacities should be used which are suitable for direct consumption.
- Where the water undergoes a process of re-mineralization, the ingredients used in the water will need to conform to food grade and pharma-grade quality.
Microorganisms for packaged drinking water
The drinking water should be free from the following micro-organisms:
- Escherichia coli
- Coliform bacteria
- Fecal Streptococci and Staphylococcus aureus
- Salmonella Typhi
- Sulfate Reducing Anaerobes
- Pseudomonas Aeruginosin
- Yeast and mold
- Salmonella and Shigella
- Vibrio cholera and V. para hemolytic us
Parameters by FSSAI
- Organoleptic and physical parameters
- General parameters concerning substances undesirable in excessive amounts
Parameters concerning the following substances:
- Toxic substance
- Radioactive residues
- Pesticide residues
The type of packaging used for packaged drinking water should follow the given standards:
|Materials used||ISI standards to comply|
|Poly-alkylene terephthalate (PET and PBT)||IS: 12252|
Labeling on the package
Every drinking water package should have the following labeling on it:
- “PACKAGED DRINKING WATER”
- “NATURAL MINERAL WATER”
- “BEST BEFORE”
- “CRUSH THE BOTTLE AFTER USE”
- No claims concerning medicinal (preventative, alleviative or curative) effects shall be made in respect of the properties of the product covered by the standard Claims of other beneficial effects related to the health of the consumer shall not be made.
- The name of the locality, hamlet or specified place may not form part of the trade name unless it refers to a packaged water collected at the place designated by that trade name.
- Use of any state or of any picture which may create confusion in the mind of the public or may mislead the public about the nature, origin, composition, and properties of such waters.
It should be noted that out of 5,842 registered water packaging units, only 1,495 units had both BIS and FSSAI license while 4,347 units only had the BIS certification. It is important to have both the certifications and if you are planning up to open a packaged drinking water plant, make sure you plan it correctly and have all the required documents for a successful business.
Related Topic: How different are the Food Safety and Food Quality?
Frequently Asked Questions
Step 2: We’ll draft your application and file it with FSSAI office on your behalf
Step 3: We pay the government fee and follow-up with the department for your license
Step 4: Finally, we’ll send you the FSSAI food license via e-mail.