What is the FSSAI License?
No matter whether it is manufacturing, processing, storage distribution and sale of food products, every food business operator should compulsorily obtain FSSAI License. FSSAI registration and FSSAI License is different from each other in the sense of size and nature of the business. FBO should obtain the necessary license. It is just a 14-digit License number which is printed on all the food packages. The objectivity of the FSSAI registration procedure is to create more accountability on the FBO to maintain the quality of the food products.
Get In Touch
FSSAI Registration Procedure:
FSSAI registration or license basically depends on the business volume and premises. It depends on the capacity or turnover that an applicant premises are eligible for the license such as central license, state license, registration, railways etc. Following are the procedure of FSSAI registration:
It is initiated by the submission of Form A (application) to food and safety department.
The application may be accepted or rejected by the department within 7 days from the application date.
If the application is accepted, a registration certificate will be granted by the department along with the registration number and the photo of the applicant.
Prominently, FBO should display the certificate of the registration at the place of business during the business hours.
Common documents required for obtaining FSSAI registration:
1. Completed and signed form B
2. FBO photo identity
3. Proof of possession of premises such as Rental Agreement
4. Certificate of Incorporation/ Partnership deed/AoA etc.
5. List of food products which would be dealt.
6. Plan of Food safety management system.
FSSAI License Requirement
It is mandatory for all the FBO apart from small-scale business to obtain FSSAI License. It is classified under two categories i.e State FSSAI License and Central FSSAI License that is only based on the size of the business whether it is a medium scale or large scale business.
Usually, FBO having large manufacturers, importers, exporters dealing in a large-scale food business need to obtain FSSAI registration from Central government and FBO with small to medium-sized manufacturing units, transporters, marketers, traders etc, require to take FSSAI registration from the state government.
Procedure for checking Eligibility for Registration Certificate, State or Central License (For all applicants):
1. For obtaining central license, state license or registration certificate, you have to check the eligibility option.
2.Then you have to provide the serial number, name and all other information which have been asked by the department.
3.You can operate in more than one premise or unit and work in multiple districts or states.
4. The final step is to check your eligibility
Procedure for Central License Application
1. According to the eligibility criteria, if you come in the category for Central License then you will be directed to the Central Licensing page where you have to fill out the application shown according to Food Safety and Standards Act 2006. Every data provided to the department should be correct and appropriate.
2. Do make sure to write down generic names like coconut oil, flavored milk and not brand names.
3. Make sure that the names of food products which you list must be approved products as per FSS Act 2006
4.If you want to add a new product then click on ‘Select Food Category’ in the screen of Food Processing Unit and from the drop down menu select the food category. Fill all food items one by one but for clarity. Fill up all information correctly as the same will appear on your License.
5. Next step is to download the form.You can even upload the form by using electronic signature.
6. Now you are coming towards the end of the process. At last of the screen you will be asked for how many years you want to apply. You have to choose the appropriate period of time.
Procedure for State License Application:
1. After you have checked your eligibility and you are eligible for multi licenses then you can apply for state license individually.
2.Based on the pre-check procedure if you are falling in the category for State License then you will be directed to the State Licensing page where you will fill out the application shown according to Ac of food security, 2006.
3.The procedure for state licensing application is very similar to Central License Application. It is filled in the same way as of central. The process is similar to that of central license as mentioned above.