Proprietary food is the food article that hasn’t been standardized under the regulations but does not include any novel food, special foods for dietary use, foods for medicinal purposes, functional foods, nutraceuticals, health supplements. Therefore when any food package is labeled as Proprietary Food, one can assume that the ingredients are not the standard additives or colored as per the regulations of the FSSAI License Authority. The formulation belongs to the company which has produced this product. It will also contain non-standardized food additives, colors, and ingredients that are not harmful for human consumption.
FSSAI regulations have categorized food and beverage products into two major classifications:
- Standardized Food
- Non-standardized foods i.e. (Proprietary Foods)
Standardized Food and Proprietary Food
|Basis||Standardized food||Proprietory food|
|Definition||Standardized food products are those which are defined under regulations. A food business operator who has a license can manufacture. But the manufacturer can only sell these food products as long as he complies with the standards for the specific product given in the act and rules.||Proprietary Foods are those which are not standardized under regulations and may contain primary ingredients and some generic additives. The main product for these foods is milk or milk products, from carbohydrates, with or without a basis of milk, from meat, fish, or eggs, from vegetables, fruits, or nuts. As well as sometimes from fatty substances also.|
|Examples||For example, fruit jam, fruit drinks, sauces, biscuits, and carbonated water, etc.||For example, energy drinks and custard powder which contain starch, dextrose, flavor, and color.|
- The ingredients for these proprietary food items are standardized or permitted for use in the preparation of other standardized food under these Regulations, except the ingredients which may be specified by the Authority from time to time. Provided that these kinds of food items may also contain vitamins and minerals in quantities not exceeding one RDA of the respective micronutrients.
- The additives for these foods shall be added at such levels, as specified for the category or sub-category under Appendix A of these regulations, to which the food belongs. Such a category or sub-category shall be clearly mentioned on the label along with the generic name, nature, and composition of the proprietary food.
- These food items shall comply with the microbiological requirements such as specified in Appendix B of these regulations. These proprietary food items shall not contain any pathogenic micro-organism at a level that may render the food product unsafe.
- These FBOs shall also comply with the provisions, as applicable, of all Regulations made under the Food Safety and Standards Act 2006. In addition, no health claims shall be made in respect of proprietary food either on the product label or otherwise.
- The FBOs are fully responsible for the safety of proprietary food with respect to human consumption.
Frequently Asked Questions
• Food additives that are permitted in a specified food or food category (sub-category) that are made operational as per the Notice for operationalization of standards of Food Additives for use in various Food categories dated 23rd December 2015 issued by FSSAI.
• Apart from the activities mentioned above, if the FBOs have received approval for any additives under the previous product approval process, then they may continue to use them.
Before this, a company needed to ascertain product-wise approval for launching food products.
• Standardized food products
• Non-standardized food products i.e. Proprietary food products
• If the category will be clearly displayed on the label along with its name, nature, and composition
• The food items will follow the provisions as prescribed in Appendix A and the microbiological specifications as prescribed in Appendix B of these Regulations and all other Regulations made under this Act.
In addition to this, FSSAI has regulated the addition of vitamins and minerals in proprietary foods. And so, it has ensured that no misleading health/nutrition claims can be made by food marketers.
• The name means the generic name
• Nature composes the description of the food contained in the package
• And composition is the list of ingredients in the descending order
In addition to this, it was very important to define the safety of proprietary foods as FBO responsibility since these are consumed across India.