- 1 Overview of Catering Industry
- 2 Registration Criteria for the Catering business license or Food Service Establishment
- 3 Types for Catering business license –
Overview of Catering Industry
People refer to the catering industry as the hospitality industry which organizes food, drinks and also accommodation for people in school, hospital industry etc in some cases. However, it may be possible to make a number of distinctions between different types of food and beverages outlets in the catering industry.Catering business license is mandatory.
“Catering in India has now become an integral part for the success of various events and social occasions. It is one of the fastest growing sectors that has seen the surge in demand across the country and has contributed a major financial share in the last financial year 2018.
Registration Criteria for the Catering business license or Food Service Establishment
According to the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India, it is mandatory for the food business operators whose annual income is up to 12 lakhs to obtain food registration certificate. The certificate is easily obtained by the State Authority or Municipal Authority or can hire a consultant from FSSAI Food License.
But in some cases, units like Railways, Air, and Airports, Seaports, Defence which are under the central government whose turnover is up to twelve lakhs have to mandatorily go for Central Licensing and such business activities are not covered under this registration certificate criteria.
The following Food Business Operator has to follow the certain process to obtain the FSSAI Catering business license . The application form in FORM A along with the photograph and essential documents is to be submitted with the Registration Authority for the grant of the registration certificate. A fee of Rs. 100 is charged for the certification. The next thing is the inspection part which will be done by the authority. They can either reject or grant the certificate after the inspection. If no message is received or no communication is done by the authority within thirty days, the operator can start his business without waiting for any further communication.
The Food Business Operator has to follow the guidelines prescribed in the standards of FSSAI. The registration certificate should be displayed at a prominent place.
There are some requirements which have to fulfilled by the catering or the food service establishment –
- The operators should ensure that the location of their business should be free from external pollutants.
- There should be proper and adequate storage in hygienic condition.
- The cooking methods should ensure fresh food which should be free from any contamination.
- Ths stalls or counters should be clean and hygienic.
- All the staff handling the food department should also maintain personal hygiene.
- Only fresh food should be packed for delivering of packaged food.
- The containers used for cooking should be free from dust and other articles.
Some penalties the business operators have to pay in case of violation of any rule –
- The penalty of upto one lack is payable in case of unhygienic or unsanitary processing or manufacturing,
- The penalty for carrying unregistered food business is upto Rs. 2 lack.
- If the applicant tries to obstruct the food security officer from doing his duty or gives false information, imprisonment upto 3 months and fine upto Rs. 1 lac will be charged as penalty.
Types for Catering business license –
1) Food Establishment license –
To operate in any food establishment like Catering, Food license is necessary to have. Without this license, a penalty will be charged upto Rs 2 lack. General requirements vary but always include inspecting the facility for state compliance. Ensuring staff has the proper training for Food Certification is often mandatory as well.
2) Alcohol License –
It is mandatory for the catering service provider to have the alcohol license if they are serving them in any events. Obtaining this license can take a lot of time. Generally, the background is checked before granting the license. Without this license, it is illegal to serve alcohol in events and can lead to serious consequences.
3) Other licenses or permits –
However, other permits and licenses may be required by local jurisdictions or state agencies. Other licenses like Quality Assurance and Health assurance. It is also very important for the business to obtain because it satisfies the customer mentally when he will hire the services.
Related Article– FSSAI Food License Mandatory for all Food Joints