- FSSAI Food Licensing and Guidelines for registration
- 1.Good Manufacturing Practices
- 2. Hygienic Food Practices
- 3. Raw Materials
- Preparation of fruits and vegetables
- Preparation of Non-Veg Product
- 4. Personal hygiene
- 4. Transportation and Handling of Food
- 5. Storage
- Documentation and Records for Restaurant License
Nowadays more and more restaurants are opening and the demand for a restaurant license is also increasing. FSSAI registration is necessary for all the operators of Food Business whether wholesalers, suppliers, traders, restaurant etc.FSSAI Registration is of different types and it depends upon the annual turnover. No person shall commence or carry on any food business without registering themselves with food authority.
The operators of Food business who are looking for licensing FSSAI or looking for FSSAI Renewal, have to apply
through FSSAI registration Form B. It is not a much difficult task, there is just only one Application Form B to apply either for new licensing FSSAI or for FSSAI License renewal of the Food Business Operators.
FSSAI license is basically a 14- Digit registration number which is printed on food packages.
In this article, we will be discussing FSSAI Food Licensing & Registration System Guidelines For Restaurants. Not only restaurants but other food businesses also. These guidelines are important if you want to have restaurant licenses for your business.
FSSAI Food Licensing and Guidelines for registration
There are various guidelines for the restaurant license that you should consider in your restaurant premises. The guidelines are:
1.Good Manufacturing Practices
The restaurants must have proper and clean kitchen or food preparing area, sitting area if any, toilets etc according to the FSSAI Food Licensing & Registration System Guidelines. The areas to considers are:-
- Kitchen/ food preparing area:- It should have a proper system of ventilation. Also, the area should be clean and hygienic.
- Changing facilities:- There should be a proper facility for changing clothes to the staff members.
- Sitting area:- Sitting area should be clean and properly maintained. Try to keep a distance from the kitchen area or cover it so that there will be no problem for the customers.
- Washrooms and Handwashing facilities:- The restaurants ought to have sufficient no. of washrooms and Handwashing facilities for each customer and therefore the employees members. Also, clean water should be accessible to them.
2. Hygienic Food Practices
It is very important for the restaurants to keep their surroundings neat and clean. It should be free from the dust and other environmental polluted areas. Regular cleaning and proper ventilation are important for every food business. The following comes under this category:
- Water Supply:- There should be an adequate supply of water. Normal water, as well as the drinking water, should be available on the restaurant premises. The water should be chemically and bacteriologically examine by the NABL accredited laboratory.
- Cleaning:- The surrounding should be cleaned properly. There must be a regular cleaning of equipment and the utensils used in the kitchen.
3. Raw Materials
For restaurant license, FSSAI issues some guidelines for handling and preparing the raw materials in the kitchen.
Preparation of fruits and vegetables
- There should be proper treatment of uncooked and ready-to-eat fruits and vegetables with the 50 ppm chlorinated water.
- The equipment should be properly cleaned
Preparation of Non-Veg Product
- The meat and processed meat should be kept separate from the other food items.
- Anti-bacterial cleaners should be used to clean the use surface.
- The meals should be properly cooked/prepared/processed so that it can eliminate and reduce hazards from the food.
- Take fresh oil for frying the food items.
- For chilling, keep the temperature of the fridge at 5 degree Celsius to keep in good condition.
4. Personal hygiene
According to the FSSAI food licensing and registration system guidelines, staff members should maintain personal hygiene.
- A proper dress should be there for the food production personnel. It also includes a clean protective clothing, hair covering, gloves, etc.
- Personnel should use disinfection and hand washing facilities whenever they cook or serve the food.
- Non- hand operating taps, waste bins, towels, disposable papers etc should be there in the processing areas and hand washing facilities to be equipped.
- Restrictions should be there on restaurant premises regarding unhygienic practices like smoking, drinking, tobacco etc.
4. Transportation and Handling of Food
For a restaurant license, the vehicles used to transport foods should be in good condition. Foods whether in packaged form or in containers should have the required temperature while you transport them.
- Food vehicles should have suitable facilities such as temperature, packings etc to protect food.
- Chilled/ frozen food products should be transported at regulated temperatures.
- Vehicles should be clean, free from pest infestation and other factors that can spoil the food.
- Separate food vehicle should be used for raw and finished products.
The FSSAI Food Licensing & Registration System Guidelines also state that the food whether it is raw, semi-processed or processed should be stored properly. However, you need to consider these points:-
- Adequate, well-designed storage rooms or areas that should be free from moisture, dust and other factors that spoil food
- Some materials such as chemicals, detergents, and other cleaning materials should away from food items
- food products should be handled and stored in a manner to prevent damage, contamination, and spoilage
- Proper stock rotation (First-In-First-out) should be practiced
Documentation and Records for Restaurant License
For restaurant license, The FSSAI Food Licensing & Registration System Guidelines also state that proper maintenance of documentation of the food production and other records.
- NABL accredited/ FSSAI notified labs test reports regarding microbiological contaminants in food items
- Maintenance of records of daily production, the raw material used and sales
- A periodic audit should be done of the whole system according to the Standard Operating Procedure conducted regarding (GMP/ GHP) system.
- Records of sale and purchase that the food product sold to registered/ licensed vendor
- Records of raw material purchased from a registered/ licensed supplier.