FSSAI License | FSSAI registration
Online Registration Process. Apply Now.FSSAI Online Registration is the basic and the must need for all the Food Business operators, whether they may be wholesalers, manufacturers, suppliers, traders, Re-packers, etc. There are different types of FSSAI Registration or FSSAI License & the type depends upon the annual turnover or the size of your Food Business.
Get FSSAI License
What is FSSAI?
FSSAI Full form and Description
FSSAI full form is basically Food Safety and Standards Authority of India. It is the governing and regulatory body for ensuring the safety of food products delivered to the consumers. Sometimes it is also referred to as the Food Authority of India. The Food Safety and Standards Act empowers FSSAI to exercise the powers in addition to carrying out the functions specified to them by the Government of India as well as the Ministry of Health and Family Affair. The Ministry of Health and Family also acts as a consultant for the FSSAI Food License. FSSAI is legally, a body corporate which means it is a legal organization and its headquarters are located at New Delhi, the country’s capital. FSSAI Offices are also located in other states throughout the country to enable Food Business Owners(FBOs) to register their business under the guidelines of the regulatory body.
What does FSSAI do?
FSSAI, empowered by the Food Safety and Security Act of 2006, sets the standards for healthy and consumable food products based on facts backed by science. The Food Authority of India also helps regulate the storage, production, distribution as well as the sales of the food products deemed safe to consume for the buyers of these food items. In addition to this, the food regulatory body also ensures that the food products are free from impurities and adulteration.
FSSAI absolutely does not entertain the sale of sub-standard and impure ingrdients as they enforced their authority by prohibiting the sale of Nestle’s famous Noodles Maggi over an issue of high lead quantity in the products. Read more on Maggi’s issue with FSSAI . All institutions dispensing or producing food products have to undergo FSSAI’s standard test and are marked with a FSSAI mark for safe consumption. All restaurants are also instructed to display their FSSAI license in order to assure customers of safe food handling practices.Therefore, it is mandatory for Food Business Owners (FBOs) to acquire the FSSAI license no matter what the scale of their operation.
What is FSSAI license number?
FSSAI license is basically a 14- Digit registration number which is printed on food packages.Every food item in India has to be marked with the FSSAI logo and has to display the 14 digit-license number after they have under gone the food safety checks under the Food Safety and Standards Act. In addition to this, the food regulatory body has also instructed all restaurants and food eateries enlisted on the food aggregator apps like Zomato and Swiggy to display their fssai license number on the application and also give a hygiene rating for the food prepared by the restaurant. Failure to provide the aggregation apps with the required information will lead to your restaurant business being De-listed from the apps. Go ahead and read: Swiggy, Zomato de-list hundreds of restaurant without FSSAI license number.
FSSAI LICENSING AND REGISTRATION OF FOOD BUSINESS
The registration for a FSSAI License is statutory and mandatory for all the FBOs regardless of the nature and scale of their operations. Every single food business be it wholesalers, manufacturers, suppliers, traders, Re-packers, etc. everybody has to perform FSSAI registration procedure in order to avoid hiccups in their operations because of Non-compliance to FSSAI’s guidelines. There are different types of FSSAI Registration & the type of FSSAI Registration depends upon the annual turnover of the Food Business or installed capacity or it could also depend upon the installed capacity and a mix of all the factors put together.
At FSSAIFoodLicense, we are committed to provide the most convenient, simple and quick FSSAI registration for Food Business Owners (FBOs) across the country. Call us to get your FSSAI license no. and FSSAI registration done in a flash from one of the top FSSAI consultants in the country! In addition to helping you acquire new FSSAI license, we also enable FBOs to continue their food business operations via FSSAI renewal. To successfully renew your FSSAI license, a simple FSSAI Application form B has to be used. FSSAI licenses vary on the type of operation and scale of the business(turnover). Depending upon these factors, the license are classified as follows
- Central License
- State License
- FSSAI Basic Registration
Let’s look at who is eligibile for which type of registration based on the scale of their operation and turnover.
TYPES OF FSSAI LICENSE
FSSAI Basic Registration
Petty food-businesses i.e. food businesses with very small scale operations localized one particular area of the city and do not exceed their annual turnover by ₹ 12 lakh have to go for a basic FSSAI registration. Basic registration could also be valid for . distributers,marketers and retailers subject to eligibility rules. The validity of said basic FSSAI registration is 1-5 years and is issued by the state governments to the Food Business Owners(FBOs).
FSSAI State License
All businesses involved with any food operation process like storage units, manufacturers, marketers, retailers, transporters with a small to medium scale of operations will need to acquire the state FSSAI license . The FSSAI state license is applicable for FBOs who are able to generate a turnover between ₹ 12 lakhs and ₹ 20 crore . The validity of the state license could be in between 1 year to 5 years at max. The state government is responsible for issuing the FSSAI state license to respective Food Business Owners.
FSSAI Central Food License
The Central government in association with the Ministry of Helath and Family affair have mandated acquiring a central license for Food Business Operators who rake in an annual turnover of over ₹ 20 crores. These could include a large variety of Traders including fully export oriented units, operators and importers associated with the central government and it’s related agencies.Central Food License has to obtained by by institutions delivering food at airports and seaports as well.In addition to this if food business owners have multiple branches of a restaurant or any other food joint with branches spreading across the multiple states, they have to obtain a central license for the main branch/head office as well.
FBOs without FSSAI licensing are open to be penalized by the Food Authority under the non-compliance rules of the Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006 . Check at the bottom for the fines and fees levied for non-compliance with FSSAI’s guidelines.
|Type of License||Price|
|Basic Registration||₹ 4,499|
|State Registration||₹ 10,499|
|Central Registration||₹ 17,499|
Do you require a FSSAI Food License ? Here at FSSAIFoodLicense, we provide you with a one-stop shop for any and all services related to food business such as FSSAI renewal, catering license, food service license, or resolving queries related to Food Licensing . We enable food business owners acquire FSSAI License all over India across various cities and states like Delhi, Mumbai, Rajasthan, Haryana, etc with pocket-friendly FSSAI registration fees. You can also easily check your FSSAI License status as we follow up with the authority every-step of the way on the FSSAI license procedure.
FSSAI has established its regional offices all over the country across all thes states of the country to help enable FBOs acquire the state licensing for safety of food delivered to the consumers
FSSAI ELIGIBILITY RULES
Many times as a Food Business Owner it is difficult to determine what license to go for State or Central . Here, we list down the eligibility criteria so you can look up your type of business and swiftly proceed to acquire your food license.
Basic FSSAI Registration
Basic FSSAI registration is applicable for all food businesses and related activities like storage, sales, distribution , repacking and labelling for which the anual turnover does not cross Rs. 12 lakh or for food businesses which have a maximum turn over of Rs. 12 lakh Annually.
State FSSAI License Eligibility
The following FBOs can apply for a state FSSAI license
- Restaurants and Hotels
- Meat processing Units and Slaughtering Units
- Propreitary Foods
- Food Procesing Units inclusive of corresponding retailers and repackers
- Vegetable Oil Processing Units as well as Production Units
- Dairy Units inclusive of Milk Chilling units
Central FSSAI License Eligibility
The following Food Business Owners have been deemed eligibile to obtain the FSSAI central license by the regulatory authority
- 5 Star Hotels and above
- All Food Businesses inclusive of retailers, distributors, suppliers, and caterers mentioned for state license could apply for central license if their operations are at larger scale.(~20 crore or more)
- Restaurants/ Food processing and handling chains with multipe branches across various states have to obtain the Central FSSAI license for the main branch/head office
- 100 % export oriented food processing/production units
- Food processing units, relabellers, and repackers who are processing more than 2 Metric Tonnes per day excluding grains, cereals, and pulse milling units
- Refrigerated storages holding a capacity of 10,000 Metric Tonnes or more
- Wholesalers with their annual turnovers amounting to Rs. 30 Crores or more
- Food Catering services located at airports as well as seaports
Based on Annual Turnover has to either apply for simple FSSAI Online Registration in FORM A with FSSAI or apply for Licensing in FORM B.
|Up to ₹ 12 Lakhs||Registration FORM A|
|₹12 lakhs– ₹ 20 Crores||State License FORM B|
|Exceeding ₹ 20 Crores||Central License FORM B|
FSSAI Documents Required:
In order to get FSSAI license approval, A Food Business Owner has to produce a comprehensive list of documents for verification.
Common Documents for all types of FSSAI Licenses:
Whether it is any type of FSSAI license, there are a few common documents that a FBO has to submit in order to go forward with the procedure of acquiring their food license. Every Food Business needs to provide these documents compulsarily .
- Signed and Completed FORM-B [FORM-A for Basic FSSAI registration]
- Photo Identity Proof of the Food Business Owner
- PAN Card
- Latest Passport Size Photograph
- Proof of Possession of the Premises( Land Papers or Rental Agreement)
- Articles Of Association /Certificate of incorporation/ Partnership Deed, if applicable
- An extensive list of food items FBO will be dealing with and handling.
- The plan for Food Safety System Management [Not needed for Basic FSSAI registration]
Additional Documents for State FSSAI License
- Blueprint or layout of the proposed location
- Detailed list of Equipment and Machinery installed or to be installed at the location
- NOC and copy of license from manufacturers
- Authority letter with particulars about the name and adress of the person responsible.
Additional Documents for Central FSSAI License
- Water Report Analysis from a well-established and/or a government health labratory
- Directorate General of Foreign Trade (DGFT) issued IEC (Import Export Code)
- Pesticide Residue Report of the water for units involved in the manufacturing of mineral or carbonated water
- Designated milk provider/ Source of Milk
- Proof of Annual turnover, if required
- Meat provider/ Meat processing units
- Certificates alotted by the Ministry of Tourism, if applicable
- Vehicles turnover proof, if applicable
FSSAI Food License Renewal
Depending what type of FSSAI registration you have gone for i.e. Basic, Central or State, the Food License you acquired will last from 1 years to up to a maximum 5 years. It is vital for food businesses to get their FSSAI registration renewed before their validity expires. Lets look at the procedure to renew food license.
In order to renew the food licensing, food business owners have to fill up the FSSAI form A or FSSAI form B. These forms basically list down the activities the food business is involved in. In addition to this, the food business owner also has to attach a self-attested declaration that they will comply with all the regulations laid out in the Food Safety and Standards Act of 2006. A photo identity proof like PAN Card, Aadhar Card, passport etc.
After FSSAI has recieved the application for the food license renewal, they will verify all the details and examine the application closely. Along with this, FSSAI officials might also arrange for a physical inspection of your area of businesses to ensure continuity of safe food production and food handling practises. FSSAI officials will also check the validity of information provided by the FBO in their application
If the food authority / food consulatants officials are convinced that the organizations operational practises are up to the mark and in compliance with the guidelines of the Food Safety and Standards Act.
Within a maximum of 45 -60 days, your FSSAI license will be renewed again for a maximum period of 5 years
- FSSAI license or restaurant license is not optional it is a statutory legality that has to be done by all FBOs.
- In case the operations of the food organization like restaurant extend beyond one state, a Central FSSAI license has to be procured for the main branch .
- A single central license can be obtained by importers on their Import Export Code (IEC) address
- All different varities of food production, handling activities under a single big unit is applicable for one registration only.
- It is advisable for Food Business owners to keep an active e-mail ID if not, please consider keeping a telephonice number for the organization to ease the communications.
- Take care to spell the name of the Food Business carefully in the application form as this will be the name that appears in the license.
- Once you have successfully submitted the application a unique reference ID will be generated. This ID is used in all further processing for obtaining the food license.
- In order to complete the process of acquiring the license, is paying the prescribe fees by the government. This can be done prinint out the acknowledgement and issuing a demand draft in the name of FSSAI for the specified amount.
More About FSSAI:
- Establishes a decentralized authority for licensing of food products.
- Simplistic procedure which licenses the organizations within a very small time frame
- Small scale Food Business Owners don’t have to go for a license rather they just have to obtain FSSAI registration
- FSSAI keeps customer safety paramount and has also ensured compensation in case of injury or death due to unsafe food products.
NON COMPLIANCE WITH FSSAI REGULATIONS
FSSAI has laid out statutory regulations for all FBO registered under their authority as per the Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006. The food products delivered or produced by the FBO’s are generally tested for quality as well as safety by a Food Safety Officer. The officer also checks for facilities, working conditions, food handling techniques of the operators and whether they’re in compliance with regulations set by the regulatory food authority. The Food safety Officer marks the facility as per the compliance levels as follows:
- Partial Compliance
- Not Applicable/ Not Observed (NA)
In accordance with the above markings given out, the Food Safety Officer might issue an improvement notice. Improvement notices if not complied towards by the Food Business Operators even after giving multiple chances will ultimately result in the cancellation of the license.
In addition to this, if an FBO is unhappy with the issue of an improvement notice by a Food Safety Officer, they can appeal to the State Commissioner of Food Safety. Their decisions can also put to a challenge via an appeal towards Food Safety Appellate Tribunal / High Court.
NON COMPLIANCE PENALTY
Here’s a list of the extensive charges and fines that have to be paid for Non- Compliance with FSSAI regulations:
|Particulars of Non Compliance||Fine Imposed|
|Food Quality Standards Non-compliance with FSS standards||₹ 2 Lakh (Petty Manufacturer – ₹ 25,000)|
|Sub-Standard Food||₹ 5 lakh|
|Misbranded Food||₹ 3 lakh|
|Misleading / Falsified or Advertisement of the Products||₹ 10 lakh|
|Extraneous substances in Food||₹ 1 lakh|
|Disobedience/ Non- Compliance with Food Safety Officer’s Directions||₹ 2 lakh|
|Manufacturing and Processing procedures and Endangering||₹ 1 lakh|
Thus, it can prove very costly to be in non-compliance with the FSSAI regulations. Get your FSSAI license as soon as possible. Get in touch with us now! Call +91-8750008585
Why should you get the FSSAI License?
- Consumers become confident of safe food handling and preparation practises of the FBOs
- Empowers producers to innovate and keep their standards of food and its quality above par consistently
- Helps estanlish one governing regulation for your products and avoid the hassle of multiple other regulations .
- Empowers organizations with the power to free-flowing trade at mass without comprimising consumer safety .
- FSSAI licensing also assures consumers that food dispensed to them is free from adulterants and is not sub-standard.