According to the Food Safety and Standards Act of 2006, the Ministry of Family Health & Welfare of India formed the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) to address matters relating to food. You must comply with fssai registration or licensing requirements if you intend to engage in food-related business, such as exporting cashews or selling dry fruits.
The largest cashew nut producer is India. With almost 15% of the export in the previous four years, India has been the largest exporter of shelled cashews worldwide. And one of the most significant and exquisite products that India has ever produced is cashew. Each cashew exporter is required by Food Safety and Standards Regulations to register under the 2006 Food Safety and Standards Act. The importance of FSSAI registration while starting a cashew nut export business or a dry fruit business in India is discussed in this article by fssaifoodlicense, along with the necessity of food license renewal.
Who are Cashew Exporters?
A popular food that is high in minerals and proteins is cashew nuts. One of the most costly nuts in the world are cashews. Because of the cost of processing, it is extremely pricey. One of the biggest cashew exporters in the world is India. Million dollar corporations enter our nation through the cashew export industry. Cashew exporters purchase premium cashews from cashew farmers throughout India and ship them overseas.
India is a market leader in the world for exports. Any export of subpar goods has an impact on India’s standing on the world market. The Food Safety Act mandates that cashew exporters ensure the quality of their goods before shipping them abroad, thus they need a fssai registration certificate to demonstrate their compliance.
Also Read -: Difference Between FPO and FSSAI
India as cashew importer
Not only is India a significant producer of cashew nuts, but it is also a significant processor. India buys raw cashew nuts from African and Asian nations because it is unable to meet its own domestic demand for the nuts. More than 40% of the world’s cashew nuts are produced in Africa, which is also its greatest producer. If there were no imports of raw cashew nuts, the majority of India’s capacity for processing cashew nuts would remain completely unused.
85–90% of India’s total cashew imports come from the Ivory Coast, Tanzania, Benin, Guinea Bissau, Ghana, and Nigeria. Due to the high cashew demand within the country, raw cashew nut imports have been rising.
The production of cashews in India has not kept up with the country’s growing demand, so the fssai set standards for the industry by obtaining a fssai registration certificate. Since demand for raw cashew nuts is high practically all year long and the Indian harvest lasts only three months, there is no shortage of importers in India. Without imports of raw cashews, India would be unable to meet the expanding domestic demand. Additionally, processed cashew nuts are exported from India to nations in Europe and North America. So, you need to have an FSSAI registration if you wish to start a food business as a cashew exporter.
Why is an FSSAI license necessary for exporters of cashews?
- The Ministry of Health and Family Welfare of India established the Food Safety and Standard Authority of India (FSSAI).The company may be in the manufacturing, handling, delivery, transportation, and sale of food.
- According to the Food Safety and Standards Act of 2006, any entity directly or indirectly associated with the food industry must be in possession of a current FSSAI registration license.
- For the manufacture, storage, distribution, sale, and import of food-related items as well as to ensure the availability of healthy and safe food for human consumption, FSSAI registration and licenses are required.
- Cashew exporters must have an FSSAI license in order to conduct business, according to FSSAI regulations otherwise defaulters will need to pay penalties.
- The consumer’s health could be harmed by the exportation of cashews of poor quality.
- Your company’s cashew exports are guaranteed to be of the highest quality and safe for consumption thanks to your FSSAI license.
- Food product exports without FSSAI registration are prohibited. Penalties and incarceration will be imposed on the parties involved.
- Remember that getting a license has nothing to do with the level of involvement. With one exception, everyone involved in the food supply chain, including packagers and marketers, must receive this fssai registration license.
An Overview Of Indian Cashew Exports
- Nearly five centuries ago, a tree from Eastern Brazil called the cashew also known as Anacardium occidentale L. arrived in India. The Portuguese first used it in Goa.
- Commercial cashew cultivation began in the 1960s, and within a few years it was transformed into a high-value and export-oriented commodity due to its great taste and benefits.
- Currently, India exports cashews to more than 60 different nations, accounting for close to 65% of global exports.
- United States, Germany, Spain, Japan, Netherlands, UK, and Gulf countries make up the majority of the export market. Therefore, having cashewnuts at a high grade is necessary, necessitating a fssai registration certificate.
What Kinds Of FSSAI Registrations Can Cashew Exporters Achieve?
Basic, State, and Central licenses are the three types of licenses that the FSSAI issues. These permits are only issued based on the operation’s size and yearly revenue.
Anyone who has a business and makes less than Rs 12 lakh annually is eligible for basic registration. Once this barrier is reached, a business owner is unable to maintain the requirements of the basic license. The business owner must switch to a state fssai registration license in such a circumstance.
What Does A Cashew Exporter’s State FSSAI Registration Entail?
According to the Food Standards and Safety Authority of India (FSSAI), business owners whose yearly sales is between Rs. 12 lakhs and Rs. 20 crores are required to obtain a state fssai registration license. Owners of businesses who meet this threshold requirement must submit an online application through the FSSAI portal.
The Food Standards and Safety Authority of India, also known as (FSSAI), mandates that any entity or business with an annual turnover of more than Rs 20 crore obtain central Fssai registration. To avoid fines, it is imperative to inform the appropriate authorities of the revenue rise. Penalties will be applied if the business owner decides to continue operating under licenses other than the required Fssai license. A timely food license renewal of the license is also necessary.
What Are The FSSAI Standards For Dry Fruits?
- All FBOs must guarantee that they will provide end users with dried fruits that are safe, as demonstrated by their FSSAI registration certificate.
- All seeds, dried fruit, and nuts fall under the heading of processed foods according to the food listing system stated in the Food Safety and Standards Amendment Regulations, 2016.
- To prevent contamination and microbial growth, it is strictly forbidden to retain water in such foods.
- The following types of packaging are acceptable for dried fruits: cardboard boxes, paper bags, aluminium cans, bottles, and wooden boxes.
- Publicly available dried fruits, nuts, and seeds must be free of contamination, mould, and insect pieces.
- Shells, stalks, fibre, pits, and peels, as well as artificial colouring, contaminated, blemished, and damaged nuts, are all examples of sour flavours.
- In the order, the FSSAI noted that Customs frequently refers raw cashew nut consignments to the FSSAI for FSSAI approval. Because raw cashew nuts are included under Chapter 8 of the Indian Tariff Code and have the ITC HS Code 08013101, the Customs refers these shipments.
- Raw cashew nuts must first be processed in the cashew processing plants before being consumed.
- Cashew nuts in their unprocessed state are considered a raw material and as such do not currently require FSSAI clearance.
- The FSSAI is unable to hold import shipments for inspection until the standards for raw cashew nuts are set, and such cashews only fall under plant quarantine. However, because there are requirements for all processing units, the FSSAI can inspect the processing units.
Also Read -: Do We Need to Get a Fssai registration license for a Tea Business in India?
The expansion of stores, eateries, and hotels has also led to an increase in illegal activities like food adulteration. FSSAI tries to stop such acts by enforcing strict standards and requirements. Every food business operator is currently required by FSSAI to obtain a fssai registration license before engaging in business activities. The same regulation also applies to cashew exporters.
All cashew exporters must correctly complete the online fssai registration form’s fields and upload the needed documentation in the proper manner. If you run into any difficulties when filling your paperwork online, get in touch with the fssaifoodlicense staff. A fssaifoodlicense expert will complete your FSSAI form, address all of your questions, and obtain official permission. Receive your FSSAI food license sent to your home, and we can help you renew it.