When faced with physical, mental, psychological, and social changes, humans have the capacity to adapt and regulate themselves. One of the key areas on which people should concentrate is their physical well-being. One of the elements of our health that cannot be separated is a healthy diet. Each of us should adhere to safety precautions to keep ourselves healthy in our complicated lives. Therefore, there should be access to healthy and safe food for human consumption.
The import of food products into India is regulated by several departments and agencies of the Indian government. The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) is one of the key organizations that establishes standards, governs, and manages food imports into India. So, the purpose of this blog is to discuss the necessity of Fssai registration for importing food items into India.
Before importing, obtain a license for the FSSAI
- A business entity should either be a company or a limited liability partnership (LLP), which is preferred for those who have a respectable business structure with limited liability.
- For the sale of goods in India, a company must have valid indirect tax registration or VAT registration with the relevant authority.
- Importer Exporter Code (IE Code), which was issued by the Director General of Foreign Trade, is required.
- The requirement for product approval in the event that non-standard products are imported.
- Consignment must go through several checks before it may be cleared and sold domestically.
- Application for Custom Clearance must be approved by the Custom Department.
- For fssai registration, a NOC (No Objection Certificate) application or provisional NOC must be submitted to the FSSAI’s Food Import Clearance System (FICS).
- Examination of documentation by an FSSAI or NOC authorized personnel.
- Visual examination of the shipment and sample of it by the FSSAI authorized official.
- Analyzed at a lab of the samples that were taken.
- The Food Import Clearance System (FICS) of the FSSAI must issue a NOC or Provisional NOC, and then the cargo must be cleared via customs with the same paperwork.
Procedures for import registration license
- Following the aforementioned phases’ procedures, the Customs Department must approve an application for custom clearance.
- The importer must submit an application for shipment clearance to the Department of Customs when the shipment arrives in India.
- After it submits the required paperwork for a new Bill of Entry to be generated, it will be granted an examination order for the consignment.
- The Electronic Data Interchange (EDI) system of Customs will generate examination orders, which require NOC from the FSSAI.
- Applying for a No Objection Certificate (NOC) or a Provisional NOC using the FSSAI’s Food Import Clearance System (FICS).
- Make an application for fssai registration following the generation of the bill of entry and examination order.
Documents are necessary to submit such an application
- The Electronic Data Interchange (EDI) system of Customs generates the Import Export Code issued by the DGFT and the FSSAI License issued under the FSSAI Act 2006 Bill of the Entry and Examination order.
- For fSSAI food license renewal or registration, a High Sea Sale Agreement and product approval are also necessary.
- If the product is a livestock product, the Department of Animal Husbandry will issue a sanitary import permit. If the product is a primary agricultural produce or horticultural production, the Ministry of Agriculture will issue the import permit.
- At the location of manufacture, processing, etc., the food consignment’s authorized person or agency issues a certificate of origin.
- Contract registration with the Central Bureau of Narcotics for poppy seed imports.
- If the consignor is from a different nation, the Certificate of Origin must include information on the country of origin, among other things; the Certificate of Analysis must include a composition certificate.
- For both the renewal and registration of a food license, a wine and whisky test certificate is needed.
- For fssai registration, the following documents are needed: Phyto-Sanitary Certificate issued by the Plant Quarantine Department of the Exporting Country in the case of horticulture produce or primary agriculture with fumigation endorsement; End-use declaration; List of a transit country; Stuffing list; and Packing List.
- Pumping Guarantee Certificate for large imports of edible oil.
- The Bill of Entry’s reference to a commercial invoice is also utilized to renew a food license.
- If the food consignment was transshipped using Cold Chain Technologies (CCT) from the port of origin to the point of import, a temperature chart, report, or graph will be provided.
- Bill of lading for a marine cargo, as indicated in the Bill of Entry.
- As stated in the Bill of Entry for an air consignment, an Air Way Bill.
- In the case of an aseptic package, a declaration from the manufacturer stating that the representative sealed sample is from the same batch of the consignment; a radioactivity certificate, if irradiation is utilized for the renewal of a fssai food license.
- The importer must also provide the documentation filed with the Department of Customs at the time of export, together with a copy of any rejection certificates provided by the officials of the importing country prior to the item’s re-exportation where it is a case of re-import.
- Submission of any further reports, papers, undertakings, or affidavits as requested and required from time to time by the Authorized Officer of the Food Authority.
Examination of documents
To renew or register a food license, every document must be validated by an authorized FSSAI officer. The importer should next submit the paperwork. An officer may request clarification if necessary during this process. If the paperwork is deemed to be in order after careful inspection and examination, the authorize officer requests the necessary payment based on the quantity of samples requested for clearance.
The importer must properly acknowledge the date and time of the authorized officer’s visual inspection of the shipment. This depends on the deposit of the fee demand made by the importer. The authorized officer must take two samples in the presence of the importer or his representative following the visual inspection and confirmation of the remaining shelf life before sealing and labelling them for food license renewal and registration for fssai importers.
Examination of the samples in a lab
The laboratory must examine the samples in accordance with the standards and parameters as specified by the Food Safety and Standards Act of 2006 and its regulations. If the product tested meets the criteria set forth in the Food Safety and Standards Act of 2006 and its regulations for fssai registration, the report must be forwarded to the officer with a conclusion.
Issuing a certificate of no objection
NOC or NCC (Non-Conformity Certificate) is prepared for food license renewal and registration for fssai importers. It is based on the laboratory report for its conformance or non-conformance standards and parameters provided under FSS act 2006 and regulations.
Clearance of the shipment via customs
The consignment is finally cleared for commerce or use in India when the No Objection Certificate (NOC) given by the FICS of FSSAI is duly presented by the authorised person to the Customs authorities with the Department of Customs, which is also necessary for fssai registration.
Labeling Requirements for Food Products Imported into India
- For food products to be accepted and sold in the market when imported into India, their labels must be precise and contain particular information.
- These are what they are: The labelling language used must comply with the product-specific labelling regulations and the FSSAI Packaging & Labelling Regulations, 2011.
- The following should also be followed for fssai registration in India in accordance with the Food Safety & Standards (Import) Regulations, 2017.
- To receive an importing license, the business bringing food into India must fulfil the conditions listed below. In order to protect their inhabitants and give them access to wholesome food and excellent health, the Indian Health Ministry has established quality and health standards for its products.
- The amount of substance, the net weight, and the “Best Before” date.
- Facts and data about nutrition
- The name of the firm, product, or other entity.
- For the purpose of renewing a food license, the product’s description and the list of its contents are also necessary.
- Vegetarian and non-vegetarian designations using symbols and net weight.
- FSSAI registration requires a variety of information, including the batch number, code number, lot number, name and address of the importer in India, among others.
Also Read -: How to start a food business using frozen food?
Some of the Standard Operating Procedures for the clearance of imported food goods have been obtained by FSSAI. The consignment will be refused and not be permitted to be traded in India if the import of the food goods is not done in accordance with the FSSAI regulations and specified procedures. A person or organization must be aware of the FSSAI regulations and procedures connected to the import of food products and must also have a license for FSSAI registration.
Having a license can give the food industry legal advantages, foster philanthropy, ensure sanitation, increase customer awareness, and support corporate expansion. The production, storage, distribution, and sale of imported food are also under its jurisdiction. We at fssaifoodlicense provide you with a fssai food license and assist with food license renewal for an affordable fssai license charge.