However, until it was brought to our notice, none of us were aware that the way the animals were housed and butchered in the slaughterhouses was beyond conception. Poor hygiene and animal mistreatment were regular occurrences. However, with the change of government, many improvements are occurring. This post describes the essential requirements enforced by FSSAI registration for meat store vendors. If you want to sell meat in your store, you must have an FSSAI registration license.
What are Meat Shops?
Meat shops are places where live domestic animals are slaughtered for food. Goats, sheep, chickens, and beef are routinely butchered for sustenance. The scale of the meat industry can range from small butcher shops to enormous slaughterhouses. The meat will be chopped, processed, and packaged for commercial usage at huge slaughterhouses. Protein is primarily obtained from meat. People in Western countries consume meat on a daily basis. Despite being mostly vegetarian, India is the second-largest exporter of beef meat.
To meet legal criteria, meat retailers must obtain FSSAI registration. Meat processing plants slaughter and process animals for meat. Meat processing should follow Food Safety Act guidelines. Department stores will also carry the processed meat. If processed meat is not fresh, customers’ health will be jeopardized. Retailers of meat must get an FSSAI license. Meat stores cannot operate unless they are FSSAI registered. FSSAI registration is also required when delivering meat through a food delivery partner.
Read Also This -: FSSAI Guidelines to Reduce Trans-fat
Why is FSSAI License Important for Meat Shops?
- The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) is India’s highest food safety authority. The FSSAI is part of the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare in India. Any food or food-related business must be registered with FSSAI.
- The FSSAI license guarantees that the food produced by the food firm is nutritious and safe to eat. It includes businesses that are involved in food preparation, processing, handling, and delivery.
- According to the fssai law, all slaughterhouses and butcher shops that have been operating illegally for many years must immediately cease operations.
- To relaunch their business, they would need to get FSSAI registration licenses and meet FSSAI (Food Safety and Standards Authority of India) standards.
- Anyone found operating without the necessary rights and rules faces legal action.
All meat retailers must follow Fssai regulations
When it comes to meat storage and handling for fssai registration, the FSSAI has specific guidelines that must be observed. According to the law, a meat shop is defined as any establishment that gathers ten animals every day. Anyone else is known as a butcher house. To comply with current legislation, all of these businesses must renew their food licenses or receive new permits to continue functioning.
The FSSAI requires all meat shops and slaughterhouses to meet the following guidelines. Here are a few examples:
- All shops that sell meat or slaughter must apply for FSSAI registration.
- They must abide by all of the authority’s laws and regulations.
- In order to achieve optimal hygiene, they must preserve animal welfare.
- Only goats, sheep, pigs, cattle, poultry, and fish are permitted for slaughter. It is illegal to kill any other animals besides these.
- Animal welfare must be respected throughout animal transportation.
- In order to meet hygienic standards, current shop infrastructure must be upgraded. As a result, all roadside meat merchants have been forced to close their doors.
- Fresh meat should be cooled between 0 and 7 degrees Celsius, and frozen meat should be stored at -18 degrees Celsius or lower.
- Meat products must be stored with correct labelling and segregation in order to preserve temperature control throughout storage.
- If you desire fssai registration, the storage containers should be composed of non-toxic materials.
- There must be an appropriate supply of water and facilities for safe and clean water storage.
Importance of FSSAI Regulations
- The information to be filled out is available online, and application forms, as well as the form for all papers to be presented to the local authorities within 15 days, are also available on the FSSAI website.
- Officers will properly verify the documents once they have been submitted. Licenses will be rejected if found careless; otherwise, FSSAI will award the license for both food license renewal and license.
- To operate the business, the proprietors must strictly adhere to the Food Authority Department’s requirements.
- Before issuing licenses, numerous departments such as the Municipal Corporation, the food safety authority, the police, and a veterinary doctor would conduct checks.
- All meat shops and slaughterhouses will be required to disclose the source of animal procurement.
- All of the laws and regulations have been put in place to ensure sufficient safety and hygiene standards.
- With new diseases emerging, eating clean and healthful food is becoming increasingly vital. As everyday consumers, we don’t have many choices for checking the safety metre of a specific food item.
- Fortunately, agencies such as FSSAI make this feasible for us, particularly with relation to meat products.
- We may be confident that if a food product bears the FSSAI mark, it has been tested and certified to be consumed, thus if your FSSAI license expires, you need also have your food license renewed.
Read Also This -: Why Would Someone Need a FSSAI Registration License
Currently, all meat businesses are operating under fssai registration licenses issued by city bodies. However, under new laws, all state food commissioners and city secretaries are obligated to provide or renew fssai food licenses to all of these outlets. Meat shops would be prohibited from operating unless they registered or obtained a necessary license from the Centre.
In the future, every food operator in India will need a proper license to operate their food companies. Anyone detected operating unlawfully should be prepared to face legal consequences. Do you want to apply for an FSSAI license? For license and food license renewal, please contact fssaifoodlicense food license consulting.